Friday, September 14, 2007

Umm....hearts.....



Okay, last night, I let my neice choose between either hearts or Humpty Dumpty to make (don't ask why those two, that's just what popped into my head.) Well, obviously, miss girlie girl wanted to make a heart, although originally it was supposed to be Humpty Dumpty (we were even singing the song!).
So, I have the Mary Engelbreit Wrap It Up! book (which I bought brand new for $1 at Barnes and Noble during their big sale about a year or so ago. How awesome is that?!) Inside, she has these hearts you can make that are made out of suede or some kind of material. Well, I don't work much with cloth material, so we decided to make ours out of paper, since I have TONS of paper. :) Miss girlie girl wanted pink, obviously, so she had bright pink as the background, light purple as the inground, another shade of light pink for the flowers and bright green for the leaves. I chose yellow for the background, orange for the inground and a purple flower with bright green leaves.

First, I cut out the sets of hearts and set miss girlie to coloring hers. She's still young, so she doesn't exactly know to color the whole thing or to make designs or anything yet, so hers is kind of scratchy. Still, she colored it how she wanted, which I think is very important in art, and she watched me cut the design out for my background. Then, to keep her busy, I tried to let her cut out her flowers, which are just circles, but she didn't really know how to hold the scissors, so I did it for her and let her color them, too. Once I caught up with her, I did the leaves and we colored them, too.


By now, what had started out as a small project, was becoming pretty lengthy. For a girl who doesn't like to sit still, I'm glad to say that she sat it out with me. She was a bit antsy when she wasn't doing anything, but other than that, she was good. :) So, once we have all the pieces ready, we picked out buttons for the flowers and began glueing everything together. For her, once everything was glued fairly tight, I made hers into a necklace, which she seemed to like. I even put her name on the back so she would know it was hers (even though she can't read yet. :)
I took a few extra pictures of our progress to show how we made everything, but normally I wouldn't. And since my good camera is broken, my camera phone isn't exactly cutting it for me. :( I'm hoping to get a new camera soon, but I don't think it will be soon enough for me. I love taking pictures.

No comments: